6 Tips to Care for Your Hair During Winter Months
The winter season can be tough on your hair. Cold weather and dry air can strip your hair of its natural oils, leaving it feeling dry and brittle. Luckily, there are a few things you can do to help combat the harshness of the winter months and keep your hair looking healthy and shiny all season long!
Here are 6 tips our salon recommends to help care for your hair during the winter months:
- Use a deep conditioner at least once a week - Deep conditioners are an important part of keeping your hair healthy and hydrated. They can help repair the damage, add shine, and prevent breakage. We recommend using a deep conditioner at least once a week, depending on your hair type. If you have dry or frizzy hair, you may want to use a deep conditioner more often.
- Add an Opalex treatment to your cut and/or color – Opalex is a hair-strengthening treatment protecting your hair from heat damage from blow drying, coloring, and chemical treatments. The treatment helps to re-strengthen the bonds within worn-out hair, restoring its integrity. With an Opalex treatment, you can help make your hair stronger, healthier, and more resilient.
- Keep your hair hydrated: Cold winter air is incredibly drying, so it’s important to keep your hair hydrated in the wintertime. Start by using a shampoo and conditioner that is specifically designed for dry or damaged hair. Additionally, be sure to avoid chemically treated or heat-styled hair as these can further damage already fragile strands. To help lock in moisture, after showering, use a leave-in conditioner to keep your hair from becoming too brittle.
- Invest in a good quality hair mask: It’s also important to properly replenish lost nutrients with a good quality hair mask. Ideally, you should look for a hair mask that is specifically formulated for dry, winter hair. A quality hair mask will work to hydrate and nourish your mane, restoring its natural luster and shine. Make sure to apply a generous amount of the mask evenly throughout your hair, particularly for those areas that need extra care, and then cover your hair with a hair cap or towel for at least 15 minutes.
- Limit your exposure to the cold: This may seem like an obvious one, but it’s worth repeating. Your hair is much more susceptible to damage from the cold than your skin is, so it’s important to limit your exposure to frigid temperatures. When you do go outside, make sure to cover your hair with a hat.
- Limit the use of heat tools - While heat styling tools can be convenient, it’s important to limit their use to prevent heat damage. Heat damage can lead to split ends, breakage, and frizz. To avoid heat damage, use heat styling tools sparingly and at the lowest setting possible. If your hair is already damaged, give it a break from heat styling altogether and opt for air-drying or gentle, heat-free styles.
Caring for your hair in the winter isn’t always easy, but if you follow these simple tips, you can help ensure that your locks stay healthy and beautiful all winter long. Make sure to take the time to deep condition your hair, add an Opalex treatment to your salon visit, use a deep moisturizing mask, and avoid heat styling tools, and you’ll be on your way to happy, healthy winter hair! If you’d like more help with how to treat winter hair that is dry and brittle, you can schedule an appointment with one of Jessica’s Color Room hairstylists at 860-344-8677 (Middletown, CT).
Stay Connected with Us!